If you want a lean body, stop by the weight training section more often when you workout. If you are going to put in the hard work, make it count towards a leaner body.
You don’t have to compete in contests to build a lean body (although competing can be a good changeup and motivator). And, you don’t have to get bulky like a man. But, you have to build muscle mass, burn fat and shrink your body to lean and toned. Notice that I haven’t said anything about losing weight. Shift your focus to burning fat and the weight loss will come too.
Read my post, “Shape Your Sexy Body Better” to get a good overview on women’s body types and training.
Here are 7 Top Women’s Fat Burning Strength Exercises:
1. Dumbbell Squat-to-Bicep Curl-to-Shoulder Press – This is a good exercise to start any workout. It is definitely a full body strength exercise and it will get your heart rate up in a hurry. Descend into the squat (thighs parallel to the floor). As you ascend out of the squat, do your bicep curl and finish with the shoulder press. That’s one repetition.
2. Dumbbell Chest Press on Stability Ball – Doing the chest press on the ball causes you to balance while lifting. Each arm also has to do equal work. Don’t let your butt sag and keep your head, shoulders and hips in line.
3. Bentover Dumbbell One-Arm Rows – If you’re trying to build up back muscles and burn back fat, bentover dumbbells rows should be in your routine. Bentover dumbbell rows allow you to work your lats using heavier weights.
Keep your elbows close to your side as you lift the dumbbell up (squeeze your shoulder blades together as you lift dumbbell). Keep your back straight throughout the exercise. Don’t curl the dumbbell. Return to start position. That’s 1 repetition.
4. Pullups – The pullup is not just a back muscle exercise. Pullups work your lats (and other back muscles), core, shoulders, arms, chest, biceps and improve grip strength. You should be doing pullups. You can use a stool to spot yourself and give yourself a little help as you work up to doing 5-8 repetitions per set. Start with 1 if needed.
5. Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats – This exercise requires great core strength to keep your upper body upright while squatting on one leg. Do all repetitions on one leg and switch to the other leg.
6. Sprint Intervals for Cardio – Running fast activates and shapes your bulky, fast twitch muscle fibers. There’s a reason that track sprinters’ bodies are so cut—they do their training fast most of the time.
7. Clock Lunges with Dumbbells – Clock lunges work your body in all planes of motion. Lunge with your right leg at 12 o’clock, 2 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 5 o’clock and 6 o’clock. That’s 1 repetition for your right leg. Lunge with your left leg at 12 o’clock, 10 o’clock, 9 o’clock, 7 o’clock and 6 o’clock. That’s 1 repetition for left leg. Maintain upright posture throughout to improve core strength.
Rotate heavy lifting days (3-5 reps per exercise, 4-5 sets) with light lifting days (10-12 reps per exercise, 3-4 sets). Do circuit weight training with the lighter weights (little or no rest between sets). You will need more rest between sets when you lift heavy (1-2 minutes rest between sets).
Burn fat and shape your curves leaner and meaner. You will look and feel great!
Download your Free Curves, Abs and Upper Body Fat Burn Manual and start shaping your body faster!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Her Fitness Hut